Louis L. Peck manufacturer & dealer in varnishes, pine oil, virgin & spts. of turpentine. Flour & farina store, 101 S. Front St. Varnish store, 15 Dock St. Lamp, pine oil & fluid store, 3 & 5 N. Eighth St, Philadelphia. (Philadelphia: Printed in colors by Wagner & McGuigan, No. 4 Franklin Place, ca. 1855). Click here for larger view.
The Library Company of Philadelphia founded in 1731, was the largest public library in America until the 1850s, and is now an independent research library with one of the premier collections in the country of early American documents. It houses extensive collections of books, graphics, and manuscripts that chronicle the history of American culture. In conjunction with its Program in Early American Economy and Society, the Library Company is augmenting, cataloging, and conserving its collections related to economy and society-including the areas of commerce, business, banking, technology, and other fields-and has also compiled a regional survey of related scholarly resources. In addition, the Program sponsors seminars, establishes public outreach programs, holds conferences involving scholars of the early American economy, and publishes conference proceedings and monographs.
1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (215) 546-3181 FAX (215) 546-5167
Copyright © 2006 Library Company of Philadelphia | All Rights Reserved | Dr. Cathy Matson, Program Director